This workshop explores two overarching questions: How can technology design and policies better inform and coordinate with each other in generating safe new technologies? What new solutions might emerge when HCI practitioners design technology and its policies simultaneously to account for its societal impacts?
Submissions may address one or both questions in a position paper (1-2 pages) or a short research paper (4-6 pages). The accepted workshop papers will be made available on the workshop website (see Accepted Papers). Authors of the highest-rated submissions will be invited to give short talks with our invited speakers.
Submissions may focus on broad insights into the opportunities and open questions around designing tech and policy simultaneously. Submissions can also offer specific research or case studies. We especially encourage submissions related to society-level-scale technologies and HCI concerns where design+policy can be particularly valuable, including but not limited to:
- Technologies and issues:
- Platform technologies, large language models, and text-to-image models
- Health of online discourse, misinformation, social media
- Smart and connected health
- Environment and sustainability
- Data privacy and access
- AI ethics, fairness, accountability
- Algorithmic Management: Working for the Bot
- Methods, practices, and experiences
- Related law and policy at local, state, or national level
- Related advocacy and research
- Using service design for policy making and policy implementation
- Rapid prototyping and A/B testing of nascent policies: what HCI brings to policy design
- How to plan and package HCI research to influence policy makers
- Digital twins for policy making
Submissions are due on
Feb 23rd Feb 26th, 2023 EOD AOE. Submissions should use the single-column ACM template. All submissions will be reviewed by the workshop’s co-organizers and other invited expert reviewers. At least one author of each accepted submission must attend the workshop. All participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the conference.
Submission link: Please make sure author information and contact are included in the submission. Upload your submission here. For questions, contact email@example.com instead.